Does King Arthur's Round Table exists? Where is it?



King Arthur's Round Table exists and you can visit it!

It is amazing in two ways.

First it is amazing for how it looks.

It is a masterpiece of carpentry. It is wonderfully built in wood and wonderfully decorated in black, white and green, the names of the Knight of the Round Table inscribed all around.

Second and most important King Arthur's Round Table is amazing because doesn't date back to King Arthur times, but still it is 800 years old and it is extremely impressive.

Why someone could have possibly wanted to make a huge Round Table in the 1300? And why to make it so beautiful to be certainly magical and (say the true) would you be able to imagine a round table more real than this one in the photo?

This is what King Alfred (also known with the name of King Alfred The Great) would have probably thought.

Yes I said King Alfred, not King Arthur.

The thing is on King Arthur's Round Table the king depicted is not King Arthur!

Despite the name written below the picture the King depicted is most certainly King Alfred.

But what am I talking about and who is King Alfred? And most important where is King Arthur's Round Table?

Have you ever heard the name Winchester?

The Winchester I am talking about doesn't have much to do with the famous rifle.

The Winchester I am talking about is a beautiful town in the South of England, an hour South of London and , although sometimes forgot, the town of Winchester is so important in the history of England to rightly deserve to be the town of King Arthur's Round Table.

Winchester was also for a short time the capital of England, during the black death in London.  

Would be not this enough to make of Winchester a wonderful place to visit in South of England?




But let's go back to our point: why someone had painted King Alfred The Great on King Arthur's Round Table in Winchester?

Well, it is quite simple: King Alfred was the king and the only King of Winchester and it was the local hero!

King Alfred ruled Wessex from 871 until his death in 899 and he saved his country!

At the time of his enthronement the Viking had taken control of half of England and were threatening Wessex, the region of Winchester.

King Alfred army won the battle of Edington and saved the country.

Probably you have heard about Winchester Cathedral...
Not only this! But King Arthur, it is said, managed also to convert the Vikings to Christianity!

What more a king could have done in the eyes of the man (anonymous) who built King Arthur's Round Table in Winchester?

Would you believe, the Wintonians (so they are called the citizens of Winchester) are so proud of their king even today that to celebrate the anniversary of his organized a reenactment of the burial procession  and, instead to make another Round Table, they just opened a Facebook page, so know King Alf 8as they call King Alfred in 21st Century style) is on facebook.com like Madonna and Michael Jackson. (you don't believe me? Go and look at 

It is a bit unusual Winchester isn't it?

Well it is even more. Probably you have heard about Winchester Cathedral... but this is another story... Click here to read more about Winchester.


Do you want to travel in England?

Visit our page Visit England for more great destinations.




    




Comments

Anonymous said…
Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just
sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to the whole thing.

Do you have any recommendations for novice blog writers? I'd definitely
appreciate it.
Anonymous said…
Hello outstanding blog! Does running a blog like
this take a lot of work? I have absolutely no knowledge of coding
however I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.

Anyway, should you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog
owners please share. I know this is off topic nevertheless I simply had to ask.
Cheers!
Anonymous said…
My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different web address
and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to going over your web page yet again.
Anonymous said…
Hi, There's no doubt that your web site could be having browser
compatibility problems. Whenever I take a look at
your blog in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in I.E., it has some
overlapping issues. I merely wanted to give you a quick
heads up! Apart from that, excellent site!
Anonymous said…
I got this web page from my friend who informed me
about this web site and now this time I am browsing
this web page and reading very informative content at this place.
Anonymous said…
Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my
comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for any other informative site. Where else may I am getting
that type of information written in such an ideal approach?
I've a venture that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the glance out for
such info.
Anonymous said…
I was able to find good info from your articles.
Anonymous said…
Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you
know a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why
but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different browsers
and both show the same results.
Anonymous said…
It is the best time to make a few plans for the long run and
it is time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I
could I want to recommend you few interesting things or tips.
Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
I want to learn more issues about it!
Anonymous said…
I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your information. This article
has truly peaked my interest. I will take a note of your blog and keep
checking for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.